Saturday, May 4, 2013

Review: Vesper


Vesper by Jeff Sampson


Emily Webb is a geek. And she's happy that way. Content hiding under hoodies and curling up to watch old horror flicks, she's never been the kind of girl who sneaks out for midnight parties. And she's definitely not the kind of girl who starts fights or flirts with other girls' boyfriends.Until one night Emily finds herself doing exactly that... the same night one of her classmates - also named Emily - is found mysteriously murdered.

The thing is, Emily doesn't know why she's doing any of this. By day, she's the same old boring Emily, but by night, she turns into a thrill seeker. With every nightfall, Emily gets wilder until it's no longer just her personality that changes. Her body can do things it never could before: Emily is now strong, fast, and utterly fearless. And soon Emily realizes that she's not just coming out of her shell... there's something much bigger going on. Is she bewitched by the soul of the other, murdered Emily? Or is Emily Webb becoming something else entirely - something not human?

As Emily hunts for answers, she finds out that she's not the only one this is happening to - some of her classmates are changing as well. Who is turning these teens into monsters - and how many people will they kill to get what they want?
Okay, I am sorry to say, this just wasn't my book. Terrible characters, cliche plot, forced dialogue, and a setting that was totally one dimensional made Vesper a fail. Some paranormal fans may find this an enjoyable read, but I certainly did not.

Throughout the book I felt like we never got to know Emily. She is totally flat and... ugh. Also, her friend is a terrible friend. And so is her sister. I seriously cannot think of one character I actually liked. They all seemed dumb and not relatable. The plot was boring and cliche. Nothing at all exciting happened. At all. In truth, my eyes glazed over a couple of times.

The ending, by the way, is no ending at all. I think it is supposed to be a cliffhanger but it just left me feeling confused. Everything is very sudden. I also felt like time was really wierd. Sometimes it felt fast or really slow, or I wasn't sure how many days it had been since one scene. This was sorta annoying.

The paranormal aspect...feels pretty non existent for most of the book. The first half of the book was spent seeing Emily do weird things at night and then she wonders why in the morning. The paranormal aspect isn't added in until later. A little too late for my taste.

The cover by the way, is cool. But, it doesn't really match the story. There are some scenes with a window, just I imagined the windows a lot more modern than what is shown on the cover.

Overall, this book could appeal to paranormal fans, but I would never recommend Vesper to any of my friends. I know some people will disagree with me, but this is how I felt.

1.5/5 Bookcases



No comments:

Post a Comment